Ashbourne Autumn Challenge
Welcome to our latest event, it’s an orienteering style challenge around Ashbourne of around 4 miles. It uses your smart phone and GPS to record your progress around a number of virtual checkpoints starting and finishing at the Leisure Centre.
There is a very clever app you first need to put on your phone. This gives you a map on your phone showing all the checkpoints but you can also choose to print out a map (see link below). You can then run whenever you like, night or day, however many times you like, up to the 31st December when we’ll publish the final results. Post some photos on our Facebook page too and let us know how you get on.
The course has been provided by Stuart Swalwell from Derwent Valley Orienteers (an ex- member and old friend of the club) who has organised a number of very enjoyable events for us in the past. So please give it a go even if you’ve never tried orienteering before.
This virtual event means you no longer have to punch your dibber at each carefully placed and padlocked checkpoint. Instead the GPS location of each checkpoint is pre-loaded onto your phone. Then once you get within approximately 10m of the checkpoint your device will detect it with a beep, update the ‘last checkpoint’ with the checkpoint number and off you go to the next checkpoint. At the end all your route details can be downloaded. All this means you can run the course at any time as no-one has to put the checkpoints out physically on the ground.
The free app you need for this is called MapRunF and can be downloaded from the Apple or Google Play App Stores. Then:
- Start the App, read and accept the terms and conditions then tap “Name” and register your details.
- Go to "Select Event", then “UK” Folder, then “Derbyshire” folder, then “Derwent Valley” folder, then “Ashbourne”, then “Ashbourne Medium”.
- Downloading the course should then start and can take several seconds. On the main screen you should then see the course name displayed below “Select Event”. Double check this is “Ashbourne Medium PXAC ”.
- You’re now ready to run. Make sure your phone battery is fully charged!
- The map on your phone is sufficient to navigate by but you can also download and print one from Ashbourne Medium Map if you prefer paper.
- For a preview of the route, tap “Go to Start” on the screen and you'll see the map with the numbered checkpoints marked on it, connected by "as the crows flies" straight lines.
- Tap "Go to Start" when you arrive outside the Leisure Centre, your phone will beep when it detects the start point, the timer is started and you can start running.
- The aim of the event is to visit all the checkpoints in the correct number order.
- The GPS on your smartphone registers when you are at each checkpoint. Your will hear a beep and vibrate signal.
- The “Time” box (top left of screen) displays elapsed time since the start, the “Remaining” shows the time you have left for your race.
- When your phone beeps / vibrates , move onto the next checkpoint on the map and repeat until finished.
- At the finish, your phone beeps then will show that you have completed the course.
- Once you've finished, tap “Show Results” to see your time, compare your time with others or with your own result from previous attempts.
Please take care and observe the latest social distancing rules and guidelines when you run. The route will take you through the centre of town and across main roads so it might be better to choose a quieter time of day for your run when there's less traffic and fewer pedestrians about. Although this event is organised by the club, please be aware that our England Athletics third party insurance does not apply as you are running as individuals at your own risk, not on a supervised club group run.
If you have a Garmin watch you can download routes to, then you can download MapRunG to the watch and just run with your watch rather than your phone. To do this get the MapRunF app as described above and then follow these instructions MapRunG
A number of club members have been successfully using MapRunF and MapRunG for a while now. If you experience problems please check these links for advice:
If these don’t sort it out for you then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our best to get you back up and running.